Friday, March 4, 2011

Bradley's Method

Today, I am sending my mom a copy of the Bradley's Method to Husband Coached Childbirth. I am hoping she will take the time to read it and that it will help her understand our choice.

Last time my parents were here for a visit, they asked about delivery and I told them about our choice for natural childbirth. Saying that their response lacked enthusiasm may be an understatement. All my mom could talk about was how sometimes you just have to have a c-section and that my dad fainted in the delivery room and never stayed. (she also kept saying "your poor husband will have to be in the room..."). I explained to her that I totally understand that it is a  very different experience for everybody and sometimes a c-section is a necessity, but I also mentioned that I am an optimistic person and I want to be well-prepared for a natural childbirth, and that I will keep praying for everything to go well and for our child to come into this world naturally. I also said that if something goes wrong, we will be open to alternatives, but it will only be under certain circumstances. I was a little hurt, I must confess, because even though I tried to explain things and keep an open mind, she solely focused on the negative things that can happen and how it went a certain way for her.
A couple of days later, I decided that I would send her a copy of the Bradley's Method. I don't know if she will read it or not, but at least I will have tried to share our choices with her.

Next step: explain that nobody will be allowed at the hospital until the baby is born (except my husband, of course)... My in-laws were very understanding about it; I'm not sure how my parents will react to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment